The Board will support the work of the Oregon Horse Council and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Oregon Horse Council’s Executive Director, the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as s/he develops and implements OHC’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by OHC for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving OHC’s annual budget, reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to a performance evaluation of the Executive Director
- Assisting the Executive Director and President in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the Executive Director and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing OHC to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring OHC’s commitment to a diverse board that reflects the communities OHC serves
OHC Board Members will consider OHC a philanthropic priority and may make gifts that reflect that priority. Board members are expected to utilize their contacts and connections to assist with the fundraising goals of OHC.
OHC’s Board Members will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-election for one additional term. Board meetings will be held monthly and committee meetings will be held as each committee determines. Service on OHC’s Board of Directors is without compensation, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
This is an wonderful opportunity for an individual who is passionate about OHC’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Experience with non-profit and/or organizational leadership.
- A commitment to and understanding of OHC’s purpose, mission, vision, and goals.
- Diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the equine industry in Oregon.
- Be a good standing member of OHC.
Requirements to Serve on the Board
Once selected as an Board member, the following requirements need to be fulfilled in order to maintain active status:
- Commitment to the Board of Directors and to carry out the duties as assigned/volunteered for your full term.
- Regular attendance at all Board meetings (at most 2x per year in person, the remaining meetings are via conference call). A Board member is able to miss no more then 4 meetings per year and no more then 3 consecutively without being removed from the board. Extenuating circumstances can be considered.
- Must be willing to volunteer and attend Oregon Horse Council events and programs as reasonable.
- Continually identify and solicit members, sponsorships, and opportunities to raise revenue for OHC.
- Help guide new members, assist them with questions, and engage them in OHC programs, services, and events.
- When attending any OHC event or program welcome new, current, and potential members. Make sure to connect them with other members and make everyone feel welcome.
Contact us for the FOR THE BOARD APPLICATION PACKET – email@example.com
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY 5 PM FRIDAY, DECEMBER 2ND.