- This event has passed.
WSHE Virtual Obstacle Challenge #1
August 4, 2020
This Virtual Obstacle Series is replacing the Buckle Series events that were scheduled for the 2020 Western States Horse Expo. This series is open to everyone! There is no membership charge for this event, simply toggle the $0 daypass option when registering.
Points for this event count towards Lifetime Awards but not towards regional or national awards.
You will be using your own venue for this competition! You can use pasture or an arena, whatever you like to create your course! ETS’s Director of Standards, Miranda Holaday-Lyon will be judging the videos and providing feedback!
Here’s How it Works:
- Register for the event.
- The event registration will be closed on the posted close date Thursday, July 30, at 7pm CST.
- Obstacle Course Sheets and the Specifications will be available below once the event registration is closed.
- Once you receive your course you can retrieve your rider number from the Roster posted on this page.
- Any clear well lit video from any device is accepted.
- Your video will be continuous from the first obstacle to the last and it cannot be edited or cut.
- Your video will contain the levels that you choose by showing a piece of paper with the obstacle #s and levels chosen for each obstacle before you start your first obstacle.
- You will upload your video to Youtube or Vimeo. It is suggested that if you use Youtube it is best to use the Youtube app on your phone to upload your video.
- You’ll then link your video into your ETS account by clicking My Account, My Events, and then click the video icon.
- You’ll have until 11:59 pm Tuesday, Aug 4 to link your video while wearing your rider number.
Obstacle Course & Filming Structure
- Link on How to Film Your Submission – coming soon
- Link for Obstacle Course Sheet – available once registration is closed
- Link on How to set up your course – available once registration is closed
Materials you’ll need for this Course:
The size of the area designated for this course will be announced as soon as possible, but one side of the area for this course will need either a fence, tree or any kind of sturdy structure. if you will be in an open field, a truck or trailer would be easy to place as well. In the course set up video, there will be tips and options to make it easy for everyone to build it the best way for them.
- 16 visible markers for start and stop points (these need to be visible in the video to designate the start and stop point of each obstacle such as a cone)
- 1 – 5 gallon bucket with handle (can be utility or flat back)
- 2 – Rope (minimum of 22ft)
- 1 – Tarp (minimum size of 8’x10′, bigger sizes can be folded to size) (tarp needs to be free of holes and sturdy for safety reasons)
- 1 – Barrel or a Standard for a free-standing base
- 2 flat place markers (anything that is visible and flat, spray paint, flour, bucket lid, ect…)
- 4 – Cones
- 5 – 3′ poles (3-5″ in diameter)
- 8 – 8′ poles (3-5″ in diameter)
- 5 – 10′ poles (3-5″ in diameter)
- 2 – 12′ poles (3-5″ in diameter)
You can look at Home Depot and Lowe’s for twisted, bent, or bark side 4x4s because they’re usually marked off 50-70%. You may have to ask for them, they are usually good at working with you.
Beautiful ribbons will be mailed to:
1st-6th place Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced
1st-3rd place Junior (age 13-17)
1st-3rd place Youngin’ (age 7-12)
Cash Award $300 added payout
1st-3rd place Novice
1st-3rd place Intermediate
1st-3rd place Advanced
GO FOR THE BUCKLE!
This is the first event of 3 towards the buckle series! You can participate in one event or all 3! If you participate in all 3, you are automatically apart of the WSHE BUCKLE SERIES! A beautiful silver buckle will be awarded to the high point in Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced Levels.